Tuesday 12 June 2012

Anniversary dinner

Since I discovered the deliciousness of paella, I have always wanted to make it myself. Looking for something a little bit out of the ordinary to create to celebrate two years together, this was it. And it worked out great. I followed a recipe card for paella that I found walking through Coles one day which I have obviously since thrown out, but Donna Hay's version looks just as delicious, if not better than mine!





Donna Hay's simple paella

Ingredients
1 red onion, sliced
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 teaspoon dried paprika
3 chorizo, slicedd
4x 125g chicken thich fillets, trimmed and chopped
1 1/4 cups short grain rice
1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
12 green (raw) king prawns peeled, with tails intact
3/4 cup coriander leaves
250g cherry tomatoes, quartered
lemon wedges, to serve

Method
1. Heat a large, deep non-stick frying pan over high heat.
2. Add the onion, chilli, paprika and chorizo and cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden.
3. Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes or until sealed.
4. Add the rice and stir until coated.
5. Add the stock, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add the prawns and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the rice is tender.
7. Divide between plates and top with coriander, tomatoes and a lemon wedge on the side.
Serves 4.

Source: Hay, D 2011 Simple Dinners, Harper Collins, Australia. 

These are little lemon curd tarts that I made for dessert. I didnt have a lot of time to make the dinner so I totally cheated with these...and I somewhat paid for it. The biscuit base was from a packet. Just had to add butter or something. This was yummy. The lemon curd was from a jar and was far, far too sweet for my liking. I ended up spooning most of it out and eating the base with a scraping of lemon curd. They at least looked good and deserved a mention!



No comments:

Post a Comment